Do I need to fill out the claim form (DWC-1) my employer gave me?
If you sustain an injury that requires medical attention of more than one doctor visit, yes, you need to complete a DWC-1. If you report an injury for record-keeping purposes and do not seek medical treatment, or your injury requires a one-time first aid visit, you do not need to complete a DWC-1. Completing a DWC-1 form opens your workers' compensation case. It starts the process for finding all benefits you may qualify for under state law.

Those benefits include, but are not limited to:

A presumption that your injury or illness was caused by work if your claim is not accepted or denied within 90 days of giving the completed claim form to your employer.

Up to $10,000 in treatment under medical treatment guidelines while the claims administrator considers your claim.

An increase in your disability payments if they're late.

A way to resolve any disagreements between you and the claims administrator over whether your injury or illness happened on the job, the medical treatment you receive and whether you will receive permanent disability benefits.
DWC-1 Form

Show All Answers

1. Where does an employee go for medical treatment?
2. Who pays for the medical treatment? Are there deductibles or co-pays?
3. Do I need to fill out the claim form (DWC-1) my employer gave me?
4. How do I get my medication authorized?
5. If an employee misses work time to attend medical treatment appointments, does he/she get paid under workers’ compensation?
6. When can an employee return to work after an injury?
7. Do I get reimbursed for mileage to my medical appointments, and how much?
8. If my claim is delayed, how long does my employer/MPA have to make a decision?
9. What is the Information and Assistance (I&A) Officer, and how do I contact them?